Saturday, April 20, 2013

Courage Behind Digital Screens

If you're a teacher, you have them. Normally they don't cause problems, they do their assignments, and they are generally good students, until you ask them to speak. Immediately upon the words, "And we're going to share our ideas with the class," they completely SHUT-DOWN. Since I've been teaching (only three-years, so I suppose I'm still a rookie), I've had several of these students. They simply will not speak in front of class. Some blame it on shyness, fear, or (in one of my cases) ugly teeth. Whatever the issue, these students are missing out on an important eudcational oppurtunity.

However, if students are presented with the chance to share their thoughts through a screen, any screen (computer, iPad, cellphone, etc.) they aren't quite so scared anymore. Even students are not normally afraid to speak in front of the class will share more when given a digital format. This is a major gain in an online/elearning classroom! Isn't it every teacher's dream to have meaningful classroom discussions! I know it is at least one of my teaching dreams. Think of the possibilities!

Of course, teachers would have to be mindful and very observant for this to work. Not only will students find their courage for sharing valuable thoughts behind digital screens, but they will also find courage to share negative thoughts. None-the-less, I believe the benefits far out-weigh the negatives. So, if someone will please purchase about forty Ipads, I will immediately begin an online discussion board for each of the my classes. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment