Thursday, April 3, 2014

Tech 101: Module 5

When we use technology in my classroom, right now, we are in the Control by Authority stage. Whenever I give instructions or provide new information I typically have my students turn their monitors off. I agree that this method tends to portray technology as problematic, but my students, as a whole, do not have a lot of technology experience. They have not really been trained on how to keep their attention while using the technology. I do believe that it is possible for students to reach the self-control stage, but they have to taught the proper expectations. When you are only visiting the computer lab on occasion, it is very difficult to demonstrate the proper behavior. Repetition is really the best way I have found to obtain the desired behavioral expectations, so in a 1:1 classroom, where the technology is a part of the daily procedure I think it would easier to demonstrate the desired behaviors.

1 comment:

  1. You make an interesting point, here: "When you are only visiting the computer lab on occasion, it is very difficult to demonstrate the proper behavior." I'm wondering how we can help students "transfer" general expectations of behavior. hmmm

    ReplyDelete