Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Tech 101: Module 6

I'm not currently using much technology in my classroom. I have a SmartBoard and my computer, but we rarely use anything else. We have computer labs, but they are very difficult to book, especially since most of our standardized testing is done online now. However, we are going to 1:1 next year. I think that teaching students to learn using the 1:1 technology will be a huge challenge. They will have to become familiar with the device and new procedures. I think that overcoming the novelty of the devices will be our first challenge. Once we overcome that, I see the biggest goal of teaching students to learn with technology is teaching them how to locate and identify useful information. If they can do that, they can do anything.

I'm really not sure how to address the question of how to show understanding without explicit requirements. I think that there will need to be requirements in the beginning. Going from lots of structure to no structure would be a disaster, I think. I would love some insight into how students show what they have learned without specific requirements.

1 comment:

  1. Right, Kayla! We do need to see what it looks like, don't we?? I'm going to include this video link on the Friday email, but I'll give you a sneak preview: http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_shows_how_kids_teach_themselves

    ReplyDelete